OK So, it obviously still has to bake, butttttt it only takes 5 minutes to prepare or make (no lie). It’s yummy and if you’re in a pinch it’s a lovely dessert. PS our birthdays were last week so we are still in a sugary coma of cake cake cake [ahh the Rihanna song will NEVER get old, just like us by the way, never aging :)]
Anyway, take all of the ingredients below, mix well and bake for 25-30 minutes at 350 degrees, it’s literally THAT easy. My foodie tip would be to serve with cherry preserves, compote, jam whatever you can find. I just think cherries and almonds should be married so it’s like the most yum pairing ever! Having said that, the cake on its own is pretty divine
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup of melted butter
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tsp. almond extract
- 1 cup sugar
- sliced almonds (just to sprinkle on top pre-baking, to let people know its an almond cake).
- powdered sugar (just to sprinkle on top post-baking, it makes it look not so easy & more fancy)
Happy Eating, XO.
Ok I am not literally going to sing Rihanna’s birthday cake song, well at least not till NEXT WEEK!! That’s right kids…THE BIG DAY is arriving shortly…
Jess & Sonia’s BIRTHDAY!!!
Funny thing is, I don’t even need to say it should be a national holiday, because it is!! I mean sure, its because its also Martin Luther King Jr.’s birthday, but a holiday nonetheless. Plus I mean Drew Brees, QB of the Saints, also has that birthday amongst many others. Bottom line, January 15th equals best day of the year. Birthday or not, you should eat cake on the best day of the year. So here is a cake for all foodies, no funfetti here my pets. This is some grown up ish that is just as easy to whip up! ha that’s funny because the “frosting” is actually whipped cream 🙂
nom nom nom here we go:
- 1 package of store bought yellow cake mix (I mean if you are like Jess and got a new FANCY Kitchen aid stand mixer for Christmas, feel free to cheat on the short cut and do the whole whipping of butter, sugar, eggs, flour, baking soda gig. However, if you are like the rest of us peasants, just go the “easy” way out).
- 1 can of cherry pie filling (15 oz.)
- 1.5 tsp. Almond extract
- 1 tsp. Vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup of sliced toasted almonds (listen I did a 1/2 cup like the recipe says, but it was WAY too nutty (even for a nutjob like me). It got in the way of the cake part, but whatever to each his own).
- 2 eggs
- a tub of light cool whip
No oil needed, just mix the above & pour. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 min (also base the time on what you are baking in. i.e. size of dish, you goobers-check back of cake box to confirm). Let it cool and slather with some whipped cream and maraschino cherries to make it look all gorgina, just like your pretty faces.
Happy Eating, Happy Birthday, XO.