- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey (or chicken or lamb, knock yourself out)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ¾ tsp ground oregano
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- 1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cup cooked brown rice (I had some white leftover from a fish & rice I had made the night before, works just as well)
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese, divided (I did the feta with the Mediterranean herbs, but plain feta works as well)
- ¼ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Salt and pepper, to taste
While scoping the world-wide web for our competition, err comrades. We recently came across this awesome food blog – A pinch of yum. Not only does it have super tasty recipes, but she is a fellow food enthusiast with an appetite for almost anything!
One recipe we just had to share with you is her Pom Kale Nut Salad. I mean, kale makes you think of a health freak, but this salad is yummy, promise. It has all the palate pleasers we rave about: sweet, tart, salty, crunchy, creamy, etc…Plus its filling enough to have as a meal and it truly is a sultry salad. Just look how tantalizing! Pomegranates really are the jeweled produce of Winter.
Happy Eating, XO.
I didn’t just title this post “party in your mouth” so that you would click on the recipe. Although that is definitely an added bonus 🙂 I pretty much said exactly that when I first tried this salad at a restaurant. I usually don’t go home and emulate much of what I eat out, but this one was easy & so damn good, it had to be done!
- 3 cups of Chopped watermelon chunks. (I would keep them fork size so you can get all the flavors in each bite.)
- 1/2 cup of Crumbled feta cheese (I did a pinch of black pepper too but that’s because I don’t think salt & pepper should ever live without each other.)
- 1/2 of a medium sized red onion. (Thinly sliced kids. If you don’t like onions, you can do cucumber rounds. Point is to get something fresh & crunchy!)
- Then they added a pinch of dried parsley for color, you can do fresh but make sure its finely chopped & a drizzle of balsamic to top it off.
I cant stress how good this is! Going back to my theory on salads being scrumptious and “sultry”. This salad hits all your taste buds: salty (feta), sweet (watermelon), crunchy(onion or cucumber or both), and smooth (balsamic). Now that’s a party!
Happy eating, XO.
Not all salads have to be like eating grass. Some salads don’t even need to have any leafy greens. Go ahead, pick yourself up off the floor because I know you are shocked. This recipe isn’t even for the generic pasta salad (which I mean I still love). This is something different, yet yummy. Fancy, but easy.
- 1 container of herbed feta cheese
- 1 can of chick peas (Also known as garbanzo beans, drain the can liquid)
- 1 medium size red onion (You could use another onion if you have one lying around, but I suggest the red one since those are the most palatable raw)
- 1 tsp of crushed garlic
- 1.5 tbsp of dried or fresh parsley (See I give you options and don’t always force you to use what I want)
- Pinch of salt & pepper to taste (a pinch of red chili flakes will add that zing you may crave)
Chop the onion finely, mix the other ingredients, and serve cold.
Happy Eating, XO.