Listen, bikini season is over and there is a chill in the air…I say we have an ooey gooey decadent dinner! Some good old stick to your ribs (And maybe love handles) comfort food. These chicken and cheese enchiladas have even won over a non-Mexican food lover like myself! Hope you enjoy & remember to post pictures with the #damndelish tag!
- 3 tbsp. butter (I know that’s a shit ton, I didn’t say this was diet friendly)
- 8 oz. of sour cream (keeps getting better 😛)
- 3 tbsp. flour
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- Hot sauce (I did a couple of splashes of the Chalula’s chili garlic)
- Onion powder (optional, I’m just a seasoning whore)
- Garlic powder (optional again, just going for robust flavor)
- 1 bag of shredded Mexican cheese (think Colby jack, Monterey jack, etc.)
- 1 shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1/2 – 1 cup of salsa – eyeball the salsa, its not apart of the original recipe and I just added it to the chicken & cheese mixture. (Note on what kind to use: preferably one that is low in water content and packed with onions & green chilies. I don’t want to brand plug anyone, but I think Rotell’s tomatoes & chilies, again not name dropping #jussayin’.)
- Chopped black olives (I left these out, but some people commented on the original recipe that they added them. I might try it next time.)
Mix the shredded chicken, half the cheese, and the salsa and set aside. In the mean time start the roux of the butter and flour. Stir in the chicken broth to loosen the sauce up. IMPORTANT, let this cool before folding in the sour cream. IF you don’t, it will curdle the sour cream, essentially: sauce is ruined. Anyway while the sauce is cooling pre sour cream, you can assemble the enchiladas in you oven safe pan. Fill the tortillas with the mixture evenly, roll, and lay seam side down in a line.
Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes and then broil for 3 minutes, be careful not to burn. Note: Let it cool before serving.
Happy Eating, XO.