Broccoli cheddar soup is my sister’s favorite. Panera is definitely better than the canned stuff, but why not save yourself the outing & make some at home? Plus, now that winter is knocking on our doors, its safe to say its soup season! Sick or not, this will make you feel all sorts of good on the inside. Oh and it doesn’t hurt that its super fast & super easy. (Read: No emersion blenders need). Toast up a baguette & enjoy.
- 3 cups chicken stock (or vegetable if you are trying to keep this vegetarian)
- 2 cups chopped broccoli florets (fresh or frozen doesn’t matter)
- 1 small white onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 (15 oz.) can evaporated milk (much healthier than heavy cream)
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (either do it yourself or get the Kraft kind. Either way sharp is the way to go- it has more flavor).
Create a roux (fancy French word alert!) beforehand by heating 1 tablespoon each of butter and flour together in the saucepan, and stirring them for a minute until the flour is cooked and slightly golden. Then whisk in the chicken stock, and then add broccoli, diced onion and the evaporated milk together in a medium saucepan. Heat over medium-high heat until nearly boiling. Then reduce heat to medium low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onion is cooked an soft.
*Note that the soup is a little on the thin side and that’s why I added the roux at the beginning to thicken it. If you want yours more runny or don’t have the time, you can most certainly do without it.
Happy Eating, XO.